Safety record keeping for your business

A guide to safety record keeping for your business

A guide to the regulations regarding safety records and information you need to maintain to meet regulations and ensure staff and customers are as safe as possible.

It is a legal requirement, in many cases, to keep certain health and safety records available for inspection. In addition, good record keeping will ensure that you can keep your staff and customers and act quickly if a safety issue arises. Here’s a guide to the key things you need to know regarding safety documents and records for your business.

The first step you need to take to ensure good record keeping is to ensure that one named person has responsibility for health and safety, including record keeping, and ensure this name is listed on your Health and Safety policy.

What records do you need to keep?

The key records this individual needs to ensure are up to date and available for inspection are as follows:

Health and Safety Policy

This sets out who is responsible for health and safety and the measures the company takes to ensure health and safety of staff, customers and the general public. The policy should be regularly reviewed and it should be tailored to the needs of your business. Click here for a guide from the HSE and a template policy.


Fire Risk Assessment

It is a legal requirement to have an up to date fire risk assessment. You can find guides to risk assessments for different kinds of businesses here:

You should also have records of:

  • Fire drills

  • Fire safety training -- which staff and when

  • Fire safety equipment and maintenance, checks (including when smoke detectors, carbon monoxide alarms etc were tested).

Fire Safety Log Book from £6.75 (see page 125 of our brochure
Fire Safety Log Book from £6.75

Keep fire records in this Fire Safety Log Book available from £6.75 (see page 125 of our brochure:

  • Other appropriate risk assessments

If you have other risks in your business, for example, if employees are moving and lifting items you will need to do a manual handling risk assessment; you will need to identify these risks and identify control measures to manage risks in your organisation.

If you use hazardous materials, you will also need to ensure that clear records are kept under COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) regulations of what materials are used, how they are stored etc. You can get guidance on the essential COSHH regulations here: []

For documents that may be vital for the business or vital for fire or emergency crews in the event of an incident, such as detials of hazardous materials or site layout, it’s a good idea to use a fire safe storage box which is close to the main entrance and easy for first responders to locate.

Metal Fire Document Cabinet, £44.99 See page 125 of our brochure: